Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Part 1: Introduction

On a Sunday morning in early November 2011, I attended a half day meditation retreat at a Chan (Zen) Buddhist Monastery. As is normally the case, the period of meditation is commenced by chanting the Heart Sutra. In this sutra, Avalokiteśvara, the great bodhisattva of compassion, explains to Śāriputra, a chief disciple of Gautama Buddha, that from his position of meta-physical existence the true nature of reality is Śūnyatā, or empty of any independent or unconditioned existence. Avalokiteśvara goes on to qualify that all things observed through the senses, the material body, the mind, the noble truths, in fact the totality of existence is Śūnyatā. Further, He paradoxically advises Śāriputra that Śūnyatā is actually equivalent to form (perceived material reality) and where form is perceived there is Śūnyatā.

This is a challenging yet fundamental Buddhist sutra and the paradox that emptiness is equivalent to reality had my attention going into meditation. The practice of meditation is to single-pointedly focus on an object of concentration while remaining sufficiently attentive to dismiss thoughts that will divert you from your chosen object of concentration. So, being perplexed by this paradox going into the meditation, I naturally focused on the question of “Why is ultimate reality Śūnyatā?”

What follows in Part 2 is the recording of the understanding that was provided to me within the first period of meditation. It came as a dialogue, through which I interacted with questions. I have practiced meditation for many years and have often experienced direct communication, but rarely have I focused on such a fundamental principle of reality and the nature of our existence. So, after returning home I transcribed the communication received as best I could. Unfortunately I am not able to record the visual impressions that accompanied the discourse, however, fractal images were an accompaniment that underscored the importance of complexity and repeating, self-referencing patterns, the spiraling nature of light and influence in manifesting of the material word.
The experience was quite profound and I felt compelled to extend upon what I had recorded from my meditation experience to explain further the principles of spiritual growth and development using the paradigm supplied of Light embedded with Consciousness. This was conducted over the following two days in a stream of consciousness fashion. That is, the words recorded are in the order they came, with only minor corrections for typographical errors afterwards. This extension follows Section 2 and explores the following:
  • What is the nature of our existence;
  • How does our spirit develop;
  • When does it advance on its path;
  • Why are we motivated to seek improvement;
  • Where are we progressing today.
If you find this document, I hope it provides you some assistance, but if not please disregard it and discover your own truth. I wish you well in your endeavor and persistence.

I dedicate any merits of this work to all sentient beings of the Earth.


Gino Nov 15, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment